7 Good Reasons to Choose Propane
Written on: January 24, 2022
The advantages of propane (and electricity isn’t as “green” as you think).
Electricity gets a lot of buzz, but propane is a versatile and reliable energy source that has stood the test of time. Even if you’re trying to make the most eco-friendly choices, electricity isn’t always the answer. The truth is, while electricity has its uses, it also comes with some serious disadvantages—some of which negatively affect the environment. In addition, propane has a lot to offer you and your Hudson Valley home.
7 Perks of Propane
There are a lot of advantages to using propane in your Hudson Valley home. In fact, in a number of ways, propane out-performs electricity. Here are some good reasons to choose propane over electricity:
- You’ll save money. Appliances that run on propane are extremely efficient and therefore cost less to operate. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you could enjoy as much as $174 in annual savings if you use a propane water heater instead of an electric one. On average, propane water heaters cost 30%-50% less to operate than electric water heaters.
- You’ll have versatility. Propane isn’t limited to heating your Hudson Valley home. It’s also able to power your appliances. For example, your oven, clothes dryer, and water heater. Propane also goes outdoors to keep grills, pool heaters, and patio heaters up and running.
- You’ll get reliability. If and when the electric grid fails (something that’s becoming increasingly common), your propane deliveries shouldn’t be affected. Propane can keep your generator running. And a whole-house generator can keep all the appliances and electronics in your home up and running during extreme weather and power outages.
- Propane is easy to store. Propane doesn’t degrade and propane tanks require very little maintenance. In fact, you can store a propane tank under the right conditions for up to 40 years!
- Propane works quickly. In the same amount of time, a propane water heater will produce double the volume of hot water as an electric water heater. A propane clothes dryers can dry your wet laundry 25% faster than its electric counterpart and will generate much less static in the process. Propane space heaters are also significantly more efficient than electric space heaters.
- Electricity isn’t as “green” as you think. Something that often gets overlooked is this: Most of our country’s electricity comes from coal-burning power plants. For this reason, electricity is the second-largest greenhouse gas source in the US (second only to transportation). Propane appliances have a fairly small carbon footprint. By comparison, a propane water heater produces about half the carbon emissions that an electric water heater will.
- Propane products last. If well-maintained, the average propane gas furnace can last up to 20 years. Electric heat pumps tend to conk out after just 14 years.
For all these reasons and more, you can feel good about using propane in your Hudson Valley home. And if you’re looking to switch to propane, Downey Energy makes conversion easy.
Downey Energy has been serving residential and commercial clients in the Hudson Valley for over a century. We have earned the loyalty of our customers through our dedication to service and reliability. Let us deliver for you as well.
From Cortlandt Manor to Carmel, all around Dutchess County, Orange County, Putnam County and northern Westchester County, your neighbors know that Downey Energy is the Hudson Valley’s leader for reliable propane delivery. Click here to view our service area.
Contact us today to become a customer or to learn more.