What Is Propane?
Written on: December 19, 2022
An Intro to a Versatile Fuel
We hope you know that you can count on Downey Energy for dependable propane delivery in the Hudson Valley. And hopefully you also know that we make propane delivery even easier by offering an Automatic Delivery plan. But how much do you know about propane itself. Propane is clean-burning, efficient, and versatile. Let’s take a closer look at what propane is and what it can do.
An Intro to Propane
What is propane? Propane is a product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining. It’s usually compressed and stored as a liquid. It’s also called liquefied petroleum gas, LPG or LP.
Uses of Propane
Propane is extremely versatile, and so there’s a lot it can do in and around your Hudson Valley home. Here are some of the ways propane can provide comfort and utility for your household:
- Propane can handle energy-efficient whole-house heating and space heating.
- Propane storage water heaters offer better energy efficiency than electric water heaters. And propane tankless water heaters offer even more efficiency plus endless hot water on demand.
- Propane clothes dryers work faster than their electric counterparts. And clothes come out with fewer wrinkles.
- Cooking on a propane range is easy and precise. You’ll enjoy instant temperature control and better results.
- Propane fireplaces and hearths add ambiance and cozy warmth at the push of a button.
Propane offers a lot of benefits. It is safe and versatile. In addition to running a variety of appliances, propane comfortably heats your home and water, powers gas fireplaces, and gives you precise temperature control.
Here are more of propane’s benefits:
- It’s abundant: The majority of the propane consumed in the U.S. is produced in North America.
- It’s accessible: Having a propane tank means you always have propane on your property and at your disposal. By contrast, if there’s a power outage or a problem with your natural gas supply, you’ll be without heat and the use of your appliances until the issue is resolved.
- It’s clean-burning: Because propane burns so cleanly, propane-fueled equipment lasts longer and needs fewer repairs.
- It’s cost-effective: The installation costs for new propane heating equipment is roughly 20-40% less than for comparable oil heating equipment. Propane appliances also cost about 40–60% less to operate than comparable electric appliances.
- It’s eco-friendly: Propane is nontoxic. If there’s a spill, it won’t harm the soil, water, or any organisms. Propane isn’t even regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- It’s efficient: Most propane appliances work more efficiently than their electric counterparts. Propane heating appliances deliver better value and comfort than heating sources powered by other means.
Downey Is Here for You
From Cortlandt Manor to Carmel, all around Dutchess County, Orange County, Putnam County, and northern Westchester County, Downey Energy is your one-stop source for all things propane.
When you’re a Downey Energy customer, you get reliable and safe propane delivery as well as courteous and timely service. Contact us today to learn more.