Save Energy While Staying Cool
Written on: June 6, 2022
Don’t Let Record High Prices Break Your Budget!
The past few months have brought a lot of financial struggles with them. Supply chain issues and the war in Ukraine have caused the price of everything from eggs to bacon to gas to heating oil to rise. Inflation is breaking records. Everywhere you look it seems things are getting more expensive.
We know our customers are looking for ways to lower their costs. And now that June is here, you’re going to be looking for ways to stay cool in your Hudson Valley home when the temps start to really rise. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to save money on your energy bills while keeping cool this season.
Money Saving Tips for AC Users
Want to stay cool and comfortable in your home without making your energy bills skyrocket? Here are five tips for lowering your energy bills:
- Almost 30% of the unwanted heat in your home comes through the windows. Closing the curtains or using shades during daylight hours can reduce the load on your AC. You can also make your home more energy efficient by caulking windows, installing door sweeps, and adding insulation. This will also save you money on your heating bills during the winter!
- Avoid running heat-generating appliances inside your home. Take advantage of the sun and save money by drying your clothes outside on a line. Now is also a great time to power up your BBQ grill. And Downey Energy provides convenient BBQ grill tank exchange and refills.
- Since hot air rises, move your mattress to the floor or a lower level of your home. You can also use breathable cotton sheets and buckwheat pillows to stay cooler at night.
- Use a programmable thermostat and set it to let your home warm up during those hours when the house will be empty or you and your family are asleep. For each degree higher you go, you could save 3% to 5% a day on your AC bills.
- Routinely change the air filters on your AC. A clogged air filter will reduce your AC’s efficiency. You should check them monthly and change or clean them according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
Enjoy the Downey Difference
Downey Energy has been serving residential and commercial clients in the Hudson Valley for over 100 years. We care about your bottom line, and so we offer our customers personalized pricing and payment options for managing your fuel costs.
Downey Energy is the Hudson Valley’s leader in reliable propane and heating oil delivery
Contact us today to learn more or to request a delivery.