Help Us Deliver for You this Winter
Written on: January 10, 2022
A seasonal safety checklist
Now that winter has come to the Hudson Valley, there are a few things you need to add to your safety checklist. As snow and freezing temperatures are now going to be a factor, there are some important steps you need to take to ensure safe and efficient fuel deliveries this winter. You’ll need to keep your walkways and driveways clear and pay attention to your fuel levels. On the days before, during, and after a winter storm, you’ll need to be even more mindful.
Steps toward a successful delivery
Take these steps to keep your family and the Downey Energy delivery crew safe this winter as we aim to deliver for you:
- If you have a propane tank, attach a brightly-colored flag to the top of it. This will improve its visibility and help our delivery drivers to safely and effectively position their trucks.
- Make sure our delivery crew has safe access to your property. Remove any snow or ice that may have accumulated along your walkways and driveways.
- Heating oil customers, make sure your fill pipe is clear and easily accessible.
- Propane customers, clear a path to and remove any snow that’s accumulated on your tank. Use a broom instead of a shovel on the tank itself. A shovel could put a hole in your tank and lead to a propane gas leak. Also make sure to check your vents and flues regularly for obstructions. Keeping them free and clear is an important step in preventing a build-up of carbon monoxide in your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real medical emergency that can be fatal. You’ll also want to test your carbon monoxide detectors monthly and replace the batteries in them every six months. Replace the entire unit according to the manufacturer’s guidelines (usually every 5 to 7 years).
- Keep a watchful eye on your fuel levels if you’re not an automatic delivery customer. Your usage is going to increase (possibly exponentially) as the temperatures dip, and you don’t’ want to run the risk of a runout. Call Downey Energy for a delivery before your tank is less than 25% full. Don’t procrastinate. It can be much harder to schedule a delivery during the winter months, and you don’t want to risk having a runout while you’re waiting.
- Alternatively, you can leave all the fuel level monitoring and delivery scheduling to us by signing up for our worry-free automatic propane or heating oil delivery. We’ll track your usage and the weather with our state-of-the-art computer system and make sure you always have enough fuel.
- If you’re one of our propane customers, familiarize yourself with how to respond to a propane leak. Your nose is your first line of defense. A leak will smell like rotten eggs. The minute you think you smell something, do something. Click here for instructions.
Downey Energy has been serving residential and commercial clients in the Hudson Valley for over 100 years. We have earned the loyalty of our customers through our dedication to service and reliability. Let us deliver for you as well.
From Cortlandt Manor to Carmel, all around Dutchess County, Orange County, Putnam County and northern Westchester County, your neighbors know that Downey Energy is the Hudson Valley’s leader for reliable propane and heating oil delivery. Click here to view our service area.
Contact us today to learn more or sign up for automatic delivery.