Give Your Heating System a Break
Written on: October 4, 2021
How to Help Your Heating System Work Better, Not Harder
When winter turns ugly—and it always does in the Hudson Valley—you rely on your heating system to get you through those deep cold snaps and winter storms. But when temperatures plummet, your furnace or boiler has to work harder to keep your home comfortable—and that strains the equipment. If you can take some of the burden off your heating system, it will perform better when you need it to work it’s hardest—and you’ll save some money on your heating costs, too. Here are 5 ways to help your heating equipment work better, not harder:
- Go solar. No, we aren’t talking about solar panels. We’re talking about free heat from the sun. When you leave curtains and blinds open during the day, the sun warms your rooms so your boiler or furnace can run less. Close them at night to keep that heat in.
- Let it flow. Make sure warm air can flow easily around your home. Unblock vents and baseboards to make sure the air you paid to heat gets into your living space to keep you warm. Don’t forget to check your furnace air filter regularly. A clogged filter is one of the main culprits for heating system overwork; check it once a month and clean or change it when needed.
- Eliminate drafts. Unless you live in a brand-new home, it’s likely that as much as a third of the air in your home escapes via drafts around windows and doors. That’s like throwing money out the window—or door. Sealing up drafts with caulking, weather-stripping and expanding foam can help save you 20% or more on heating costs.
- Be a programmable thermostat pro. Used correctly, a programable thermostat can help you lower your heating costs by 10% or more. To maximize your savings, set the thermostat at 68° when you’re home and awake, and lower the setting by 10° when you’re sleeping or out of the house. Smart thermostats make it even easier. They learn your heating and cooling habits, and create a schedule that matches them. Some even connect with your home automation system like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Get a tune-up. It’s never too late to schedule seasonal maintenance for your heating equipment. Regular tune-ups ensure your furnace or boiler is running smoothly, so it will burn less fuel to keep your home warm and not work as hard to do it. Our service technicians check for and fix problems that can decrease performance and efficiency, or could lead to breakdowns, no-heat emergencies, and expensive repairs. Did you know annual maintenance tune-ups are included in our affordable service plans?
The pros at Downey Energy are always happy to help you make your fall and winter go a little easier. Contact us today to learn more about propane and heating oil delivery, heating equipment, tune-ups and more in Dutchess, Orange, Putnam and Northern Westchester Counties, NY.